THE APPLE WATCH BAND – ORIGINAL OR THIRD PARTY – WHAT DO YOU PREFER?
If you have an Apple Watch, you would want to change your everyday strap to some other design to just cut out the boredom of having to look at the same watch visuals every time on your wrist.
You already shelled out a small fortune on your Apple Watch. You wouldn’t want to spend excessively more when changing the straps.
Do you know that there is a whole lot of merchandise out there of third party straps compatible with Apple watches? But wait, you need also third party Apple Watch adapters to go with them.
The original Apple Watch straps are designed to be compatible with all the different Apple Watch series and editions. This compatibility concept also applies to third party adapters and straps because they also need to simulate the simplicity and ease with which original Apple watch straps are changed on the go with simple release buttons and lugs which secure the band to the Apple Watch case. At the same time, they should be much cheaper than the originals so that people will have a reason to buy them.
At the same time, on the Apple website, the company also lays out Accessory Design Guidelines for Apple Devices for free lancer designers who would want to design the products of Apple like the watch straps. So it means, to be competitive, third party adapters and straps should have unique designs too to attract buyers aside from their being affordable.
THIRD PARTY ADAPTERS AND STRAPS ARE SUPRISINGLY OF GOOD QUALITY
Third party adapters and straps should pair perfectly with all Apple Watch models : The Apple Watch, Apple Watch 2, Apple Watch 3, Apple Watch 4, Apple Watch 5 and Apple Watch 6. They should also be able to fit the small case sizes (the 38 mm and the 40 mm) and the large case sizes (the 42 mm and the 44 mm).
When you buy the adaptors, pair them with several Quick Release Bands, if possible.
These are the recommended sizes of watch bands suitable for specific Apple Watches. But they may overlap, depending on your personal preference for tightness and comfort:
38mm Apple Watch = 20mm Band Strap
40mm Apple Watch = 22mm Band Strap
42mm and 44mm Apple Watch = 24mm Band Strap
THERE ARE SEVERAL BENEFITS TO BUYING THIRD PARTY ADAPTERS FOR YOUR APPLE WATCH:
1) They are adaptable to much more affordable third party bands compared to the original Apple Watch straps.
2) They don’t interfere with the screen functions.
3) Designed for easy removal and installation.
4) You have infinite choices of watch bands to put on your wrist due to these adapters.
5) They have a perfect fit and have configurations that don’t interfere with the charter port, camera, data transmission port. All the buttons are left open.
6) You can buy as many third party bands as you want if you have these Apple Watch Adapters because of their affordability. You can wear a steel band for office environment purposes and then easily change into a sports band made of nylon suitable for your workout when you go visit the gym after work. Then switch to a black band for a late dinner tuxedo affair. So flexible, but you don’t need to spend so much. The only thing that’s costly on your wrist is the Apple Watch itself.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT APPLE WATCH ADAPTER FOR YOU
When you are in the process of selecting an Apple Watch Adapter, you must consider if you are the type of person who doesn’t mind with tinkering with it through tools before putting on a strap or if you are an individual who would like to change straps with bare hands.
There are basically 2 types of Apple Watch adapters:
1) Adapters which need special tools. Some adapters require special tools like a pentalobe screwdriver to take off tiny screws at the bottom so you can be able to remove the bars and slide the band through. One example of this type of adapter is the one with the tubular bars running across it which need this pentalobe screwdriver to remove the tiny screws. It is also compatible with the original leather band of Apple Watch, also many third party leather bands, and also several third party steel link bands which require the use of the pentalobe screwdriver.
Other adapters have designs that require a spring bar tool for the removal and the insertion of straps. They are also usually the adapters that are used for other timepieces other than the Apple Watch. They have a pinhole which makes it more convenient in forcing the spring bar out.
2) Adapters which don’t need special tools.
There are adapters wherein you can fit in both original Apple Watch straps and certain third party Apple Watch straps. These straps come with their own spring bar with its own pin included with them upon purchase.
You simply pull out the pin with your bare fingers (no tools), insert the band into this specific adapter, then simply reinsert the pin into one pinhole, into the strap, then into the other pinhole of the adapter. If you have many bands, this process would be very easy for you.
This type of “no tool” adapter is well recommended with a special strap called a Quick Release Band 743. It is an example of a band with a spring bar inside with a pin which you can just easily pull out or push in with your fingers.
Uniquely, there are also certain “no tool” adapters called Clockwork Synergy adapters which uniquely don’t have pin holes on the side but work well with these Quick Release Bands too.
You might have realized that some straps have designs that need tools to be inserted into the Apple Watch Adapter and there are also straps with configuration that don’t need tools at all. To be flexible, buy the two kinds of Apple Watch Adaptors for your convenience.
YOU WILL HAVE HARD TIME FINDING EXACT MATCH OF COLORS FOR YOUR APPLE WATCH – INSTEAD, A SOLUTION
It is difficult finding exact match of colors for adapters and bands for your Apple Watch. This is because the colors of the Apple Watch has a different texture and hue that is uniquely created for this product. A perfect solution would be to research and go for contrasting colors for the bands that blend well with the existing texture and color tones of your Apple Watch.
One example is the Sport Grey color which has a certain finish on the aluminum which was colored by ionization process. This is a special color concocted for the Apple Watch and it’s very hard to match with exact colored straps. That’s why, find colors and designs from the existing straps which blend well with this Sports Grey hue.
We have made out a list of recommended straps for the Apple Watch at your disposal for every taste in design:
1) Nomad Leather Modern Band. Made out of natural Horween leather, it has a look of luxury and elegance. It would be a perfect strap for your Apple Watch if you are going to a business luncheon or a formal dinner. Over time, as you wear it, it will develop an impressive patina surface which will reflect well on your profile. It has 2 trim options for the buckle – silver and gold hardware.
2) Ruoqini Sports Band. Acquire that Nike Sports look with this unique product with perforated finish across the whole band. It is compatible with all Apple Watch models with 10 colors to choose from, depending on the look you want to create.
3) Seoaura Milanese Loop. This band is a stainless steel mesh pattern band which is very popular because of its versatile look. It is adjustable through the magnetic clasp that makes sure that you will always have the right fit on your wrist for your Apple Watch. It has options for 9 color finishes.
THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO LIKE BETTER 3RD PARTY LEATHER STRAPS THAN THE ORIGINAL APPLE WATCH LEATHER STRAPS
There are many others like the Grovemade Tan Leather Band and the Pad & Quill Lowry Leather Band. They and several other 3rd party leather straps even fare better in quality than the original Apple ones. You will be surprised when you touch them that they are thin but supple but you could sense that their leather could take abuse and overuse and also when sweat and dirt are absorbed by the leather. They are shockingly of good quality. They have magnets that permit you to clasp and unclasp the bands easily. Their features are enough to make you wonder at the growing deterioration of quality of Apple products.
WHAT ARE THE KINDS OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE THE BANDS OF THEIR APPLE WATCHES REGULARLY?
For most Apple Watch owners, their timepiece is a status symbol. This is because they could buy lesser priced watches with the same functions and features. But they insisted to buy Apple Watches because people will look at them differently.
Firstly, there are those extreme Apple Watch or simply any Apple product hardliners who will buy anything that Apple launches into the market. This includes new editions of the Apple Watch and their corresponding original watch straps. These enthusiasts are most likely to buy only original straps and they would be embarrassed if anyone discovers that they have bought something that is third party.
On another end of the spectrum are those kids who want to flaunt to their peers that they have an Apple Watch. Their poor parents are the ones who have to scrimp on their household budget so that their kids will look cool to their friends. But these kids could have a tendency to buy both original and third party straps just so that they can change the look of their Apple Watch regularly and their fellow youngsters will think they have a new watch altogether.
And here comes those people who truly bought the Apple Watch out of the need to regularly watch out for important monitoring points in their health condition. The Apple Watch is truly impressive as a monitoring tool for everything medical one needs, including even insistent reminders from the watch to take their maintenance medicine. And they also access the steps they have taken that day or the calories that they have lost. It is truly functional.
These people wouldn’t care less if they bought an original or third party band for their Apple Watch as long as it performs its medical or fitness functions.
FINAL RECOMMENDATION ON WHAT SET OF STRAPS TO ROTATE IN USE FOR YOUR APPLE WATCH?
You might want to know the optimal collection of watch straps that you would need and be functional at the same time for your Apple Watch.
Firstly, it is recommended that the Sports Grey band should never be part of your strap collection because it is hard to pair with clothes.
It will be optimal for you if you have at least these 3 straps in your arsenal : The leather loop strap, the Milanese loop band and the Sports strap.
If you don’t expect to sweat and just be at your desk in the office or if you are going to a fun dinner, wear the leather loop.
The Milanese loop is best when worn on weekends or when you expect a little bit of walking action and a lot of activity with your hands. It is even considered to be one of the more comfortable straps because it also expands when your wrist expands.
Lastly, when you expect a lot of sweat going out from you, you should have a sports strap. It should be toxin-proof (like against sweat) and it should be at least water resistant (if you’re going to the beach or if you’re expecting a lot of rain).
It seems the Apple Watch is here to stay. It keeps coming up with new variants. Just as well, also keep up with your own collection of watch straps for it. It makes life more colorful and vibrant.